Wednesday, June 13, 2007



Hello, my friends! It’s been 12 days since I have moved to Sonora, Texas and it’s been going pretty well. Of course, it hasn't been easy the first few days. Loneliness is not good company. But I guess it’s natural to feel that way. But what really helps is just keeping busy with the preaching work, studying, the meetings, the brothers in the congregation, and, above all, prayer. What also has helped are articles such as "Go Out From Your Land and From Your Relatives" found in August 15, 1988 issue of The Watchtower (w88 8/15) pp.21-23, and "Thinking About a Move to South America?" found in the July 22, 1972 issue of Awake! (g72 7/22) pp. 13-16 (for Spanish: g72 8/11 pág. 13-16), shown to me buy a sister that had gone to serve in the Dominican Republic with a couple other sisters.

Well I’ve settled in, but I’m still unemployed. No worries, hakuna matata. Something will come up with Jehovah’s help. Something always does.

Psalm 37:25 – "A young man I used to be, I have also grown old, and yet I have not seen anyone righteous left entirely, nor his offspring looking for bread." – King David (hopefully Jehovah considers me righteous)


I’m staying with a brother, Jesús Dehoyos. He’s an older brother and he’s lived alone before me. And he happens to rent out rooms to whoever needs them. It’s just what I need, so I’m thankful to Jehovah for this, for an apartment would cost a lot more, more so that I don’t have a job yet. And brother Dehoyos is refusing to take money! But I’ll keep trying to give him something for the expenses. He’s a wonderful brother that likes to joke around, even though he’s 84 years old.

The room is very adequate. I am happy here. My room has 7 windows. And although it does get hot at times, its not that bad. I just think about a couple I know that is serving in a Spanish-speaking town in Africa, and things start to look a lot better. Surely Jehovah is blessing them greatly for their efforts. Back to my little room, when all the windows are open with a fan in one of them, mmmm, it feels so good.

And there is an agreeable sound outside my windows. The constant chirping of birds. And there are a lot of them. Just looking outside my room, I mostly see trees, and birds are always flying by. It’s quite calming. And then there are the squirrels who ruffle around in the trees. I don’t know if it’s the same one who visits my side of the roof, but I’d like to think so. I’ve named him Felipe. I’ll see if I can get a close-up of him.

The congregation is a small one, but filled with wonderful brothers and sisters. I’ve come to realize that they were already my friends and family. I just didn’t know it yet. :)

In this town, there is only one congregation and it’s in Spanish. There is no English-speaking congregation around here, either. So our territory includes both languages. This is also the only congregation for the neighboring towns. There is Ozona, Rock Springs, and El Dorado. So we rotate every Saturday on which towns we will go preach to. Last week it was Ozona and this past Saturday, we went to El Dorado. I did get to talk to this very nice elderly lady. She asked for me to come back, so I'll see how that goes. There are also brothers who come from those towns to attend the meetings here. The farthest town, Rock Springs, is an hour away, so it obviously requires effort to make the meetings and it’s so encouraging to see the brothers and sisters do just that, especially the older ones.

Hebrews 10:24,25 - "And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as YOU behold the day drawing near."


Today I went out on service in Sonora, and talked to a few people. It's somewhat different than San Antonio. Can't put my finger on it, but I enjoyed it. As long as there are people to talk to. And, in doing so, I encountered a elderly sister from the congregation, sister Reina. What a sweet sister. We talked for almost an hour and what I got out of it was encouragement, learning about her family and hardships, but yet, still serves Jehovah. It turned out to be an awesome day.

There are also three book studies where we study the Revelation book: one is in Ozona, another in Sonora, and the other in El Dorado, which is the group that I will be attending, some 20 minutes away every Monday. I gotta watch out for the deer though. :o But to my unnecessary surprise, a brother offered to take me to the book study, so that I could save gas and so that I don't have to go alone. So I ride with his wife and 4 year-old daughter.

The brothers have really helped me to feel at home. I have also kept in contact with my family and friends, which helps me to adapt to the changes. But it truly feels great to be here. All I have to do is stay focus and remember why I’m here. An elderly sister, Mary Villalobos, that has been a dear friend to me and my family told me that it will all be ok. "It’ll be just like going home, but to a different family," she said. Also a circuit overseer’s wife from California gave me great advice, which is in harmony with what that first Watchtower article stated:

"After you get settled in the new area, homesickness may be a major problem. Love for Jehovah and for the people who need to hear the good news of his Kingdom will help you to cope with this. Many problems can be lessened if you truly make your new location your home. Avoid making negative comparisons with your previous home, as doing so can cause discontent and resentment. When facing difficulties, remember Jehovah’s invitation at Malachi 3:10: "Test me out, please, . . . whether I shall not open to you people the floodgates of the heavens and actually empty out upon you a blessing until there is no more want."" – w88 8/15 p.p. 22-23, par. 12; (bold and italics mine).

Wow! Is that awesome advice or is that awesome advice? Yup, it’s great advice.

On the subject of food, I’ve been doing pretty well, if I do say so myself. The first few days I’ve been stuffing myself with Sonic and Dairy Queen and I started to get tired of it, so last Friday, I went grocery shopping. I bought all of the essentials for a good sandwich. I know, not the best, but hey, food is food, and it’s even better if I am the one buying and making it.

Well, I guess this is it for now. I don’t have Internet access in my room, BUT there is a library! So that is where I will be posting when I get a chance. Feel free to email me or call me and oh, PLEASE: when you see or talk to my parents or grandparents, tell them that I’m ok and that Jehovah is taking care of me.

Psalm 34:19 – "Many are the calamities of the righteous one, but out of them all Jehovah delivers him." (again, hopefully Jehovah considers me righteous)


To see some pictures of my little corner of Sonora, click here.

Until next time.

5 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Roy,

    As you should expect from all of us, we really miss you back here in SA. However, we're happier knowing that you're exactly where Jehovah needs you to be!

    You'll continue to be in our prayers, and we look forward to hearing from you in your little corner of Sonora.

    Take care and Jehovah bless,
    Gerard'
    Anonymous said...
    Hey Roy,

    Your place looks great and see how Jehovah has blessed you with a place to say and a loving brother who has an open heart.

    I think that is such a beautiful thing.

    The sister from California was right about the homesickness: Don't compare where you are now with where you were before. Speaking from personal experience: it just makes you bitter.

    Just focus on the beauty of the congregation and cling tightly to the organization, the congregations and the brothers.

    Since they are now your new family, you will need them just as much as they need you.

    And because they know that you've accepted this privilege of service I know that they definitely appreciate your willing sacrifice — just as Jehovah does.

    May Jehovah continue to bless your efforts and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you as you carry out your assignment.

    Que te vaya bien,
    Tam
    Anonymous said...
    I'm glad that you are accommodating ok. Be sure that you are in our prayers. I can believe how hard it can be to get use to a new life, but your positive attitude and love for Jehovah will help you to continue forward.

    I can see that you are making new friends, which is very good, especially with the elderly in the congregation, by experience I can say that they are a true blessing to the congregation. Here, at my hall there is a sister that has both legs amputated, but if you call her for service, she's ready to go. She even pioneers some months out of the year. There zeal for the truth is truly great.

    Keep up the good work! (I sound like your school teacher)

    Be sure that Jehovah will ALWAYS find a way to help you, as long as you put him first.

    your blog friend,

    Mily
    DRey said...
    Que bonito te expresastes hijito.
    As I was reading how you have blend in with your new family, my feeling got mixed up but the most important thing is that you are happy and especially Jehovah.
    :( I Luv u :)
    mom
    Anonymous said...
    Roy! I'm very glad to hear you are doing well. Really, any time we are putting Jehovah first in our lives, such as you have, we will always be blessed despite any trying circumstances. I have been to Sonora before, it's a nice congregation with brothers and sisters who open up their hearts and homes to you. Try going to the caverns nearby...they are absolutely gorgeous!
    I just arrived from the Dominican Repulic last night and I miss it already. After 8 months of being in a land filled with territories "blancos para la siega" coming back home seems a little grey. But I know that Jehovah will aide me in going back soon! I wish you only the BEST! I'm proud of you and keep up the great work in spreading the good news of Jehovah's kingdom. (Isa. 52:7). - Mirla Lopez

Post a Comment